The New Zealand Maritime Record - sponsored by the NZ National Maritime Museum

THE NEW ZEALAND MARITIME RECORD

Maintained by the NZ National Maritime Museum
as a service to Shipping Enthusiasts and Maritime Historians


Go To the NZNMM Website

This website is developed from the site originally conceived developed & maintained by Marcus Castell and associates. Opinions are those of the various authors of the articles, and are not those of the NZ National Maritime Museum unless specifically noted. Information in this site has been updated to 2002 and will be progressively updated as resources allow. More information on historic ships (etc) is contained in the MARITIME INDEX website
Flying Squirrel

Displacement:     19 tons.

1864     Built on the Molyneaux (old name for the Clutha) River near Balclutha as a schooner and later converted into a ketch.

1864 - 1868     Owned by Daniel Joyce.

1869 - 1874     Owned by George and Peter Clark of Port Chalmers.

1874     Registered at the Port of Lyttelton.

1874 - 1875     Owned by Peter Cunningham.

1875 - 1882     Owned by John Grubb.

1882     Owned by John Haydon (In the Ballast trade).

1882 - 1902     Owned by Charles Smith of Lyttelton from 1882 and reported as being used by J. Haydon, a Lyttelton ballast man.

1902     The first ship to be beached on the Western side of Quail Island in Lyttelton Harbour.


This page is part of the The Wrecks and Hulks of Lyttelton Harbour section of the
New Zealand Maritime Record
web site.

20050118

Webmaster

Copyright (c)2003-2005
NZ National Maritime Museum

Return to the Ship Index

Enquiries & Research